Monday, November 23, 2009

Method 8

I have both a personal MySpace and Facebook accounts. I use them for personal reasons and not for professional. I do have co-workers who are my friends on Facebooks (since that is the one I use the most), but they are co-workers that are friends outside of work as well. I do not have any administrators or people in an administrative position as friends on either site. The way I see it is that Facebook and MySpace are for my personal life and I only want to share that with my friends. I do have both accounts private as well so that students cannot see what I have posted.

In my personal opinion, I think social networking sites are great. I do, however, feel that if you are in a position, such as teachers, where what you post can affect your job, then you need to make sure your stuff is private. All of my accounts and everything linked to them are private and only my friends can see my postings. That is also why I am very selective of who I allow to be my friend. I would hate to lose my job just because of living my life and someone seeing it on Facebook, so I keep things private. I would never add students as friends at all, as well.

I think using social networking sites in the library would be great, but I currently would not use any social networking sites in my library for several reasons:
1. It is an elementary level campus and I would not feel safe having my younger kids getting on Facebook or MySpace.
2. I do not think many parents would approve of their students using a social networking site in school.
3. Most of the time they are blocked because of the internet filters on our computers.

I would like to see how some school have used social networking sites in their libraries.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, thanks for the comment about wanting to see how some schools have used social networking in their libraries. Off the top of my head, I don't have any examples, but surely there must be some school libraries out there that are doing some interesting things with social networking? If I find any, I will drop you a line and also add those examples to the social networking section of this program. I do realize that many school districts block the most popular social networking sites, but I'm wondering if many schools have built their own sites that have social networking aspects built in, or whether their are social networking sites out there that are specifically intended for schools and school children? Definitely something I should look into when I have a moment. Thanks, Naomi

    ReplyDelete